Certification Update: The Costs and Benefits of Getting Certified
As the worst of the recent global financial meltdown and severe economic recession appears to be over, corporations will be looking to restock a workforce depleted by an unemployment rate that rose to a multiple-decade high of over 10 percent....
A Certification Testimonial From an American Supply Chain Management Professional
Two times in my career I was hired because I was certified, and the other...Read More>>
CERTIFICATE AND CERTIFICATION, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
- Are often issued by universities (which have NO AUTHORITY TO ISSUE CERTIFICATIONS).
- Are typically issued to motivate the student to take more than one training courses from the granting institution in order to ˇ°earnˇ± the certificate.
- Typically do not require the student to complete an examination and meet other rigorous qualification criteria.
- Do not provide the authority for the person receiving the document to use initials (like CIPT, CHRMP, CMM, CPSM, CISCM, etc) after his/her name.
- Are usually low in cost because they are considered ˇ°Certificates of Training Completionˇ±.
- Are similar to ˇ°Certificatesˇ± provided by universities in China as a prelude to a ˇ°Degreeˇ±.
- Are never issued by universities. They are issued by professional associations (like ACI, IPSCMI, PMP and ISM) which possess such authority.
- Have nothing to do with a number or length of training courses completed. In fact, many candidates are certified WITHOUT ANY TRAINING, if they complete the comprehensive certification examination and meet other rigorous qualification criteria. Training is often provided, but only as a convenience for those candidates who need to refresh their knowledge before the examination.
- DO PROVIDE the authority for the certified individual to use initials (like (like CIPT, CHRMP, CMM, CPSM, CISCM, etc) after his/her name.
- Are normally more expensive than certificates because of the requirement to undergo testing and meet other rigorous qualification criteria.
- Have rigorous security surrounding them, with control numbers assigned.
- Are similar to ˇ°Degreesˇ± in education, provided by universities in some countries after students have been issued ˇ°Certificatesˇ± and meet the examination and tuition requirements of the university.